måndag 15 september 2008

"Snooping bosses"

The article ”snooping bosses” about how people are being monitored in contemporary society is really an article that makes you think about what kind of society we are living in. There are parts of this article that I completely agree on and then there are parts where I definitely disagree.

For starters I would say that an employer should have the right to know what his or her employees are doing during working hours. I would not say that an employer has the right to be able to read an employee’s private emails. What we do when we are not working is none of our employers business nor is it his or her business what people write to me in my personal emails. The issue would be if I read my emails when I am suppose to be working or if there is any suspicion of crime, but in that case I believe that it would a matter for the police.

Secondly I most certainly do not think that employers should have the right to follow employees when they are not working. As I have already mentioned, what people do or were they go during their spare time is no one else’s business. A boss should be able to monitor his or her employees at work but that is as far as it goes.

Finally I believe that surveillance cameras are one why in which it is possible to monitor employees. My opinion is that if you do not have anything to hide this should not be a problem. The issue that always comes up in this discussion is that by monitoring people we loose our integrity but I do not agree on that matter. There should not be a problem being monitored at work if you are doing your job correctly. In some cases it could even be an advantage for the employees to be monitored. If you are working in a bank for example and the bank gets robed it would be in the employees’ interest to get that on tape.

The most important thing in this discussion is that employers should trust in his or her employees. Mutual trust and respect is fundamental for doing a good job together.

3 kommentarer:

tash sa...

Hi Katrin!
It was nice and easy reading your comments on the artikle:)
You are the first among all blog writers I have just visited who writes about trust between an employer and an employee. It is unusual but maybe sensible to speak about trust in business. I have always believed that the business world is one for sharks where everyone "eats" each other to gain the profit. However if we speak about trust at work: employers trust that his workers are really busy with their jobbs only and they will never do harm company they work at, maybe.
But can anyone be trusted? Maybe someone wants to use it in bad purposes?

Concerning that surveillance must have a line that we have a right for personal lives och noone is to monitore it, I absolutely agree with you.

Looking forward to read more from you.

Regards

Tatiana

Charlotte Isaksson sa...

I thought you made some excellent points, and I agree with you on most parts of your blog. For instance, you wrote that "Mutual trust and respect is fundamental for doing a good job together." and I totally agree with this.

Catharina Bangshöj sa...

Hi Karin,

I think you have many good opinions regarding this issue, and I agree with you on most of your thoughts. Especially on the fact that if the employee is doing his/her job properly, he/she should not mind beeing monitored. As long as the employee knows about it. However, if mutual trust is fundamental for doing a good job, is monitoring a good way build up that kind of trust? Probably not, but I still think that monitoring will increase the efficiency during working hours. Also on the fact that if the employee is doing something criminal, it's not the bosses business to investigate it, it's a matter for the police.